1. Save half your salary NOW. Sound too difficult? Well it will be in the beginning but chances are you will probably be home for a little while and then you will have to live on just one salary ...Might as well get used to it!
2. Just put the money you save in a savings account. The point is not to invest or make you rich but have some money available when you REALLY need it once the babies are here!
3. Start looking up for a Twins Support group. A good place to check is http://www.nomotc.org/ You just type in your zip code and if there are clubs in your area they will pop up.
4. No clubs in your area? Ask your OBGYN if he knows anyone who has twins, ask people you work with, ask family members to help you find parents of multiples!!! In hindsight our lives would have been so much easier if we had people around us who UNDERSTOOD!
5. Start planning for their arrival NOW: Make some feeding and pooping checklists in advance so you dont have to make them on the fly with 2 screeching infants! E-mail friends and family and have them sign up for meal prep and delivery, chores they can help with and some overnights they can pick up so you and your partner can rest one night!
6. Pick a night for yourself and HONNOR IT. Sound silly to plan a night off before their arrival? It is NOT. If you dont do it, you will forget and then you will wake up when the twins are 16 months and realize you have not had a regular break...in 16 months!
7. Stack up on paper plates, plastic cutlery and paper cups. The first months are survival people! You wouldn't go camping with your finest china now would you? This is the same!
8. Don't expect the unexpected. You have no idea what you are about to embark and that is OK! I had no clue...How could I?
9. Planning on staying at home?Start making twin mommy friends. These are the mommies that will understand EVERTHING.Look up playgroups and activities in your area and GO! Taking a couple of hours off on a Thursday morning from work to check out the local playgroups is a MUST if you plan on going to this playgroup for the next year or so with the babies! Playgroups are the equivalent of happy hour minus the cocktails when you have kids: A place to unwind, chat and laugh with others who understand you!
10. Planning on going back to work? Look for daycares NOW. It is never too early!!! Call, visit, put your names on waiting lists..Quality childcare will be your top priority when you go back to work; You need it to be able to go back to work, feel secure while you are working and stay sane as a mom.